A peek into the fanciful world in my head...

From time to time, I spend free moments on picnik.com, fooling around with pictures just for fun. This blog is now going to be home to them, just a place where I can share my creations and thoughts. Enjoy!

Friday, April 16, 2010

A Little Princess

I recently re-watched this movie--I swear it still makes me cry every time. Someone gave it to me for my birthday when I turned six, and I remember it came with your very own little brass-colored locket. I also remember sticking it in the compartment of some McDonald's toy a couple of years later, and subsequently losing it when we got rid of all those little plastic toys. It was a sad day.



I always wanted a pretty Victorian school dress uniform like these. The frills and everything. And a window seat to sit on, too, with pretty, long, lacy curtains. My grandparents' had curtains just like these in "my" bedroom in their house, and my sister and I enjoyed hiding in them.



Interesting fact: this movie is one of my first memories/lessons about racism. Before this film, African-Americans were only a part of my life in the sense that I saw them in the supermarket, and I also saw that my mother generally avoided talking or interacting with them. In my little kindergarten mind, it didn't make a lot of difference, but this movie was the first striking memory of learning that I didn't interact with black people for a particular reason. I can't explain it exactly, partially because I don't remember much about how I came to understand racism while growing up with a racist family who never said anything about black people, but this was definitely one of my first clues in learning that dark skin meant something--something I wasn't supposed to talk or ask about.









Did you know a yellow rose means friendship?? I just learned this recently. One of my friends' favorite color is yellow. Like sunshine.

The locket I got with this movie actually LOOKED like the real thing, probably because this was back in the 90's when they still make movie products actually modeled after the movie...




1 comment:

  1. Hi, how are you?
    I'm looking for Years, for a replica of the heart locket from A little Princess movie: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aB21AYHOS4k/S8jllT44rFI/AAAAAAAAAFc/U-XXkiaZkZc/s1600/3007963635_578ec76755_o2.jpg
    Can you tell me where do I get one like this?

    Thank you very much


    I'm a big fan of secret garden and a little princess.

    ReplyDelete